A well-executed genre scene by Frank Dadd of a gentleman in 18th century costume with a spaniel and Jack Russell terrier. The man, dressed in clergyman’s robes, is depicted standing by a window holding a bowl of food out for his dogs.
Frank Dadd was a genre, historical and military artist and illustrator born in Whitechapel, London on 28th March, 1851 to Robert and Catherine Dadd (née Carter). His father was a manager at a felt factory and the family income enabled Dadd to develop his artistic talent and study at the South Kensington School of Art. By 1871, he had entered the Royal Academy School, where he obtained a silver medal for his life drawing. He began exhibiting at the Royal Academy from 1876 and also at the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours and the Institute of Painters in Oil. Much of his work was of genre and figurative subjects, which he later expanded to include historical and military.
As well as continuing to paint in watercolours and oils, he started working as an artist for the Illustrated London News in 1878, which helped supplement his income. Having established himself, he married Jessie Florence Eliza Hulbert on 1 June, 1880 at St Mary’s Church Lewisham. The couple spent the first years of married life living at 21 George Lane in Lewisham where their 3 children were born.
In 1884, Dadd was elected a member of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours and in 1888 became a member of the Institute of Painters in Oil. From 1888, he became a regular contributor to The Graphic and gained popularity for his black and white or en grisaille drawings. He was later sent to South Africa where he spent time in the Transvaal and other places covering the Boer War.
By 1891, he had moved to Wilton House, Conduit Vale in Greenwich where he spent the next 2 decades. Towards the end of his life he moved to Teignmouth where he lived at West Lawn, Higher Brimley. He remained in Teignmouth until his death on 7 March, 1929. His paintings won him considerable fame during his lifetime and one of the most famous of his works ‘Gold Lace Has a Charm for the Fair’ was purchased for the nation by the Chantry Bequest in 1908 and now hangs in the Tate. Other examples of his work are also held by the Laing Art Gallery Laing Art Gallery, Russell-Cotes Art Gallery and Wellcome Collection.
|Presentation||The work is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||19.75 inches x 15.75 inches (50cm x 40cm)|
|Framed Size||27 inches x 23 inches (68.5cm x 58.5cm)|