Adolphe-Alexandre Lesrel was born in Genêts, located in the Normandy region of France, on 19 May, 1839. He was the son of a wealthy landowner Alexandre François Lesrel and his wife Anne Jourdan and his family's financial security undoubtedly enabled him to pursue his artistic education.
In 1861 at the age of 22, he went to Paris to study under Jean-Léon Gérôme (1824-1904) at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. He was also influenced by the work of Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier and began to specialise in highly detailed historical genre paintings with meticulous attention to the details of his subject's dress and surroundings. His paintings proved popular as they coincided with a contemporary nostalgic fascination with French history. Lesrel made his debut at the Paris Salon in 1865, continuing to exhibit there regularly throughout his life. As well as exhibiting in France, he also exhibited in England particularly at the Arthur Tooth and Sons Gallery in London.
Having established himself as a successful artist, he married Josephine Eulalie Létang on 4 April, 1872 who was one of his models. Together they lived at 85 rue Ampère where they had two daughters. From the 1880’s, his work was focused more on historical genre scenes of the 17th century featuring gentlemen engaged in pursuits such as art collecting, sport, playing musical instruments or wine connoisseurship. Throughout his career he won a number of accolades and awards. In 1885, he became a member of the Society of French Artists, received an honorable mention at the prestigious Paris Salon in 1889 and in 1890 he became a member of the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts . In 1907, Lesrel left Paris and returned to his hometown of Genêts, but continued to exhibit in Paris and in England. He died at Genêts on 25 February, 1929.
Examples of his work can be found in a number of museums and art galleries including the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Nantes, Musée des Beaux-Arts in Rouen, Bury Art Museum and The New York Public Library.
|Presentation||The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition. The reverse bears two labels for H & P De Casseres and MacConnal-Mason. Messrs H & P De Casseres was a fine art dealership based at 47 Duke Street, St James Square, London W1. They also opened a gallery in Harrogate at 13a, Montpellier Parade. The business was founded during the late 1920’s by Arthur de Casseres, an art collector, who traded out of St James’s Street before moving to Duke Street around 1935. His son Henry took over the business in 1937 and it remained open until 1950 when he retired. Henry died in Harrogate in 1955.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||9.75 inches x 7 inches (25cm x 18cm)|
|Framed Size||14 inches x 11.5 inches (35.5cm x 29.5cm)|