George Turner was a landscape painter born in Cromford, Derbyshire around 1843 to Thomas and Mary Turner. His father was a tailor and encouraged his son's natural talent for art. Although largely self- taught, he was able to set himself up as a professional artist by the age of 20. He also turned his hand to private art teaching as a young man.
After moving to Barrow-on-Trent he met and married his first wife Eliza Lakin in 1865. They lived at her family farm ‘The Walnuts’ in Barrow on Trent and had four children, two of whom became artists, Mary Turner (later Woore) and the better known William Lakin Turner (1867-1936).
Turner specialised in rustic views and often painted scenes in South Derbyshire and the Trent Valley where he lived. He also visited Birmingham, North Wales and Scotland. He exhibited from 1860 at the Birmingham Society of Artists and Suffolk Street. He was a frequent exhibitor at the Derby Art Gallery and became a member of the Derby Corporation Art Gallery Committee. He continued teaching art throughout his life and became art master to Louis Bosworth Hurt (1856-1929), who lived in nearby Ashbourne and David Payne (1843-1894) who also lived in Barrow-on-Trent, as well as his son William.
In 1880, he was commissioned to paint views of Calk Abbey by Lady Crewe. After the death of his wife in 1900, he moved to Kirk Ireton, living for a time at the Barley Mow Inn and then at 81 Oxford Street, Derby. On 16 November, 1903, he married the artist Kate Stevens Smith (1871-1964) and moved to Cliffe Ash Cottage in Idridgehay. Turner died at Idridgehay on 29 March, 1910 and is buried in St James’ churchyard.
Turner has been dubbed ‘Derbyshire’s John Constable’ with his paintings being highly collectable. His work is held by a number of public collections including the Brampton Museum, Colchester & Ipswich Museums, Derby Museum & Art Gallery, Erewash Borough Council, National Library of Wales, National Trust, Russell-Cotes Art Gallery, Southampton City Art Gallery, Wigan Arts & Heritage Service and Wolverhampton Art Gallery.
Sweet Water Lane was located near Hognaston, in the Scow Brook valley of Derbyshire. At the time of this painting, Turner was living at Kirk Ireton only a short distance away. He painted a number of views of this area. In 1991, much of Scow Brook including Sweet Water Lane was inundated by the creation of the Carsington Water reservoir.
|Presentation||The painting is housed in its original gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||11.75 inches x 15.5inches (30cm x 39.5cm)|
|Framed Size||21.75 inches x 25.5 inches (55.5cm x 65cm)|