John Callow was a marine and landscape painter born on July 19, 1822 in Greenwich. He was the younger brother of William Callow, a well-known marine painter who also tutored him. His brother went to Paris to teach the children of King Louis Philippe and Callow joined him there in 1833 to study art. They both returned and lived together in Charlotte Street, London in 1844. In the same year, he started exhibiting at the Royal Academy. He also exhibited at the British Institution between 1851-1855, the Old Watercolour Society, Suffolk Street and the New Watercolour Society.
In 1855, he was appointed Professor of Drawing in the Royal Military Academy at Addiscombe and six years later took the post of Sub-Professor of Drawing at Woolwich. He retired some years later and then painted mainly for exhibitions, as well as taking pupils. He excelled at marine painting and his works have become highly sought after. Examples of his paintings can be found in the Mariners Museum, Northampton Art Gallery and City of York Art Gallery. He died in New Cross, London on April 15 1878.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||29 inches x 49 inches (74cm x 125cm)|
|Framed Size||36 inches x 56 inches (91.5cm x 142.5cm)|