This wonderful landscape painting by Charles Collins depicts cattle and figures on a country lane. A herder and a woman with a basket accompany the animals, passing a village church on their way to the pasture.
Alfred Charles Jerome Collins was born in Hampstead on 16 March, 1851. He was the son of the artist Alfred Collins (1818-1867) and his wife Sarah Jane Jerome and lived with his family at 6 New End Square, Hampstead. His maternal uncle, James Parker (Ambrosini) Jerome (1810-1883) was also a painter. From an early age, he showed a talent for painting and was most likely tutored by his father. Although christened Alfred, he was known by his second name Charles. He also began signing his works as Charles Collins most likely to avoid confusion with his father.
When he was 14 his father died and he initially found work as picture restorer with a family friend in order to help provide for his family. During the evenings, he attended classes at the West London School of Art. In 1867, at the age of just 16, he made his debut exhibition at the Royal Academy and also at the Royal Society of British Artists where he later became a member. Over the years he also exhibited at the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour, New Watercolour Society and the Royal Cambrian Academy.
He moved to Dorking around 1875, where he met and married Georgiana Waddingham on 6 November, 1876. Together they had ten children and lived at Sherwood House, Arundel Road. His sons George Edward Collins (1880-1968) and Phillip Jerome Collins (1884-1975) also became artists. From 1881, the family lived on the Horsham Road in Dorking until 1890 when they moved nearby to 15 Arundel Road. Collins was known for his landscape oil paintings of Surrey and rustic genre scenes but he also produced watercolours and etchings. In addition, he worked as a book illustrator and post card designer for the publisher Ernest Nister and held the post of Art Master at Dorking High School.
Collins became friends with another Dorking artist George Gardiner and they often went on sketching holidays together in Cornwall. By 1907, he had moved back to Horsham Road, where he spent the rest of his life. He continued working as an artist and exhibiting throughout his life and was made Associate of the Royal Cambrian Academy in 1918. As well as being an artist, he also made model engines as a hobby. He had acquired a sound knowledge of engineering over the years including time spent as an engineer for the Dorking Fire Brigade from 1881 to 1896. He died on 28 September 1921, after an illness brought on after being knocked down by a cyclist 2 years prior and was buried in Dorking Cemetery.
A collection of his work including drawings and paintings can be found at the Dorking Museum. Other paintings can be found at Ferens Art Gallery, the Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre, Salford Museum, Towneley Hall Art Gallery and York Art Gallery.
|Presentation||The work is housed in its original gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||19.5 inches x 29.5 inches (49.5cm x 75cm)|
|Framed Size||30 inches x 40 inches (76cm x 102cm)|