Alfred Charles Jerome Collins was born in Hampstead on 16 March, 1851. He was the son of the artist Alfred Collins and his maternal uncles were also painters. He initially worked as picture restorer before attending art school. He began signing his works Charles Collins to avoid confusion with his father. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1867 and at the New Watercolour Society and also had his work hung at the Tate and the National Portrait Gallery.
He moved to Dorking around 1876 where he married Georgiana Waddingham on 6 November. Together, they had nine children and one of his sons, George Edward Collins (1880-1968) also became an artist. The family lived on the Horsham Road in Dorking from 1881 until 1890 when they moved nearby to 15 Arundel Road. Collins was known for his landscape paintings of Surrey and rustic genre scenes but he also produced etchings. He worked as a book illustrator and post card designer for the publisher Ernest Nister and held the post of Art Master at Dorking High School.
Collins became friends with another Dorking artist George Gardiner and they often went on sketching holidays together in Cornwall. By 1907, Collins had moved back to Horsham Road where he spent the rest of his life. He died in September 1921, after being knocked down and was buried in Dorking Cemetery.
A collection of his work including drawings and paintings can be found at the Dorking Museum. Other paintings can be found at the Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre, Salford Museum, Towneley Hall Art Gallery and York Museum.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||21.75 inches x 35.75 inches (55cm x 91cm)|
|Framed Size||30.25 inches x 44.25 inches (77cm x 112.5cm)|