Edmund Adler was born in Vienna, Austria on 15 October 1876 to Heinrich and Maria Adler. His father was an umbrella maker and he spent his early years in Vienna attending school there. He attended the Art School for Lithography from 1892 studying under Professor Franz Würbel and was also enrolled at the Graphic Teaching and Testing Institute in Vienna.
He initially worked as a lithographer before going onto the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts from 1896-1903 to study under the German portrait artist Christian Griepenkerl (1839-1916). Around 1903, Adler married Rosa Pankratz and after graduating was awarded a scholarship, which allowed him to travel to Rome to study for a year. After his return, he lived with his family in Vienna before settling in Mannersdorf am Leithagebirge in 1910. He served in the First World War but became a prisoner of war and was held by the Russians in Siberia. He kept himself occupied by drawing sketches and together with other artists held an exhibition in Vladivostok.
Adler returned to Vienna in 1920 and began working on portraits, receiving commissions from art galleries for studies of children. His children and those of his neighbours were often models for his paintings. He signed some of these works with the pseudonym Edmund A. Rode. He spent the rest of his life in Mannersdorf where he died on 10 May 1965. Adler’s appealing subject matter has helped make his paintings as popular today as they were during his lifetime.
Examples of his work can be found in many private and public collections including Lower Austria Museum as well as the Edmund Adler Gallery in Mannersdorf.
The work is housed in its original gilt frame, which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||10.25 inches x 7.75 inches (26cm x 19.5cm)|
|Framed Size||17.25 inches x 14.75 inches (44cm x 37.5cm)|