William Talbot Waller Hughes was born in Chelsea, London in 1869. He was the son of the still life painter William Hughes (1842-1901) and brother of Sir Herbert Hughes-Stanton (1870-1937), a landscape artist. He went by the name of Talbot Hughes for most of his adult life. He started exhibiting at the Royal Academy in 1871 at the age of 17, continuing to do so regularly until 1919. He also exhibited at the Society of British Artists.
In 1894 he was elected to the Arts Club and in 1903 he was elected to the Society of Oil Painters. He married Eleanor Mary Williams in 1909. Hughes specialised in genre paintings usually of pretty women. Many of his works feature historical costumes and accessories. Over the years, he amassed a large collection of costumes and props which were eventually donated to the V&A .He was also a highly skilled portraitist and painted a number of society figures including Edward Elgar. Around 1913, he left London society to move to Osmington, Dorset where he died in 1942. He is buried at St Osmond’s church.
Examples of his work can be found at Touchstones Rochdale, Warrington Museum and the Worthing Museum.
|Presentation||The painting is housed in its original gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||27.5 inches x 35.5 inches (70cm x 90cm)|
|Framed Size||36.25 inches x 44.25 inches (92cm x 113cm)|