Charles John de lacy was a marine artist born in Sunderland in 1856 the son of Robert de Lacy, a professor of music. By 1870, the family had moved to Lambeth in London where he later married Alice Hill in 1880. Together they had two daughters and lived at 34 Flaxman Road, Coldharbour Lane.
He initially trained as an engineer, serving for a time in the Royal Navy where he developed his knowledge of the sea and shipping. He later trained at the National Gallery and made his debut at the Royal Academy in 1889. He also exhibited at Suffolk Street and at some of the provincial galleries in Liverpool and Manchester.
De Lacy specialised in views of shipping in the London estuary as well as harbour scenes around the country including the North East. He worked as an illustrator for periodicals including the Illustrated London News and the Graphic. He also worked as artist to the Admiralty and the Port of London Authority, producing illustrations for books and commercial art. He died at Epsom, Surrey in 1929 and was buried in Lambeth.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame, which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||9.5 inches x 13.5 inches (24cm x 34.5cm)|
|Framed Size||15.5 inches x 19.5 inches (39.5cm x 49.5cm)|