|Home||Paintings||Sculpture & Glass||Furniture||Gallery Search||About Us||Contact Us|
Hermann Schmiechen was born on 22 July, 1885 at Neumarkt, Bavaria. He was a genre painter who specialised in portraits and romantic figures. He was taught by K F Eduard von Gebhardt at the Academy Beaux Arts in Berlin and also studied under Albrecht Brauer in Breslau. He also attended the Dusseldorf Academy and the Académie Julian in Paris. At the request of Queen Victoria, Schmiechen was invited to London in 1883. During his time in England he painted portraits of a number of notable figures, members of the aristocracy and royalty. In 1884, he became a member of the Theosophical Society, painting portraits of some of its Masters. In 1901, Schmiechen returned to Germany, settling in Berlin where he continued painting until his death in 1925. A number of his works are held by the National Trust, Flintshire Record Office, The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, Dumbarton Castle and the Royal Collection.
|Home | Paintings | Sculpture & Glass | Furniture | Latest Acquisitions | News, Fairs & Exhibitions|
|Benton Fine Art
Regent House, High Street, Moreton-in-Marsh, Glos, GL56 0AX
Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1608 652153
|© 2005 Benton Fine Art, All Rights Reserved
Site design by Alleycat