Henry Robinson Hall was born in York in 1859 the son of Eliza Robinson. He lived with his mother and his grandparents in York until 1867, when his mother married John Storey Hall. Shortly afterwards they relocated to Newcastle upon Tyne where he took his stepfather’s surname. He undoubtedly received a good education as at the age of 11 he found work as an office boy. However, by the age of 21 he had managed to develop his artistic talent and become established as an artist as well as being the main breadwinner of the family.
Sometime after 1881, he move to Blackpool and on 31 December 1885, married Mary Annie Bleasdale at Bispham, Lancashire. Together they had 6 children and his oldest son Gilbert Bleasdale Hall became an architect. He began exhibiting from 1895 at the Royal Society of Artists, Birmingham and at the Royal Scottish Academy. He also exhibited at the Royal Academy and was a fellow of the North British Academy of Arts.
Hall moved to the Barrow-in-Furness area around 1902 living at Sea View, Woodland in Broughton-in-Furness and later at 87 Oxford St, Barrow-in-Furness. He spent his remaining years living in Coniston in the Lake District where he died on 31 May 1927. He was buried at St Andrews Church in Coniston where his gravestone can still be found.
Examples of his work can be found in a number of public collections including Abbot Hall, Atkinson Art Gallery, The Dock Musuem, Oldham Gallery and The Whitaker.
|Presentation||The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.|
|Condition||As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having just been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.|
|Image Size||19.25 inches x 29.25 inches (49cm x 74.5cm)|
|Framed Size||25.25 inches x 35.25 inches (64cm x 89.5cm)|