Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting
fine art painting

Charles Leaver

British, (1824-1888)
Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon
Oil on canvas, signed & dated 1876

Charles Leaver was born in Birmingham in 1824 the son of Jane Watson and John Leaver. Leaver married Susannah Maria Morrall on 26 May, 1850. They lived in Birmingham at 106 Icknield Street East but by 1867 had moved to Heath Road in Harborne.

He specialised in highly atmospheric and detailed winter landscapes and rustic subjects. He travelled across the West Midlands painting views of Birmingham, Worcestershire and Warwickshire. He also painted scenes in Lincolnshire and is known to have travelled to Exmouth in Devon. Like many artists from the area, he exhibited at the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists.

Leaver spent his final years living at Birchy Close, Quinton where he died on 5th March 1888 aged 63 years. He is buried at Key Hill Cemetery, Birmingham.

A number of his works can be found in various museums across the Midlands including: Dudley Museum, New Art Gallery Walsall, Wednesbury Museum & Art Gallery and the Williamson Art Gallery & Museum.

*This painting is of the Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire. The limestone building which still stands today was begun in 1210, although records mention a Church on the site as far back as 845. The Norman construction which was built in the shape of a cross is now a Grade 1 listed building. It is most famous for being the church where William Shakespeare was baptised, worshipped and where he is buried. Other members of his family including his wife Anne Shakespeare (née Hathaway) and his daughter Susanna are also buried there. A memorial to Shakespeare was erected in the Chancel by his wife a few years after his death and is believed to be a good likeness of him, helping to make the church a popular destination for tourists. The lock gates seen here were known as Lucy’s Locks and probably dated from around 1664. It was part of a nearby system of weirs, sluices and dams which also included Lucy’s Mill, Lucy’s Mill Bridge and Lucy’s Weir. The lock was filled in in 1959.

Presentation The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
Condition As with all of our original antique oil paintings, this work is offered in ready to hang gallery condition, having just been professionally cleaned, restored and revarnished.

Dimensions

Image Size 27.5 inches x 43.75 inches (70cm x 111cm)
Framed Size 35.75 inches x 52 inches (91cm x 132cm)
£5,950.00