Arthur Joseph Meadows was born in 1843 at Stepney, London into the Meadows family of artists. His father was the landscape artist James Meadows Snr (1799-1864) and his mother was Ann Cross. His brothers William George Meadows (1825-c1901), James Edwin Meadows (1828-1888), Alfred John (1833-1894) and Edwin Lewis Meadows (1838-1907) were all artists. The family lived in Old Town, Clapham and later 12 Coborn Street in Bow. Like his brothers, Arthur was tutored by his father who influenced his style and subject matter and his output was almost entirely made up of marine scenes. He began exhibiting at the Royal Academy from 1863. He also exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy of Arts in Dublin, the British Institute and Suffolk Street. He is generally considered to be the best of the Meadows family of artists.
He married Laura Louisa Harrison on 15 October 1864 in Bromley and together, they had 10 children. One of their sons Gordon Arthur (1867-1937) also became an artist. They lived in Bow for a few years but then moved to Charlton Place, Dover from around 1869. Living on the south coast gave Meadows the opportunity to develop his seascapes further but he also travelled to the Channel Islands, France, Holland and Italy to paint the coastal views there. He spent many years living in Dover and was recorded as living there in 1881, however by 1891, he had returned to London and lived in Tottenham, later settling in Portland Road in Notting Hill. He died in Kensington in 1907.
Examples of his works can be found in many art galleries and museums including the Glasgow Museum, Guernsey Museum, Hastings Museum, National Maritime Museum, Sheffield Museum and the Towneley Hall Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||17.5 inches x 31.75 inches (44.5cm x 81cm)|
|Framed Size||24.5 inches x 38.75 inches (62.5cm x 98.5cm)|