John Alfred Wheeler was born in Andoversford, Gloucestershire in 1821. He was the founder of a dynasty of painters which included his sons Alfred Wheeler (1851-1932) and James Thomas Wheeler (1849-1888) and his grandsons John Frederick Wheeler and Walter Herbert Wheeler who were all skilled artists.
He initially served in the 2nd regiment of the Dragoon Guards, a cavalry regiment of the British Army from 1841-1847. After his discharge he married Eliza Coat on 10 May 1847 and they lived at 16 Corpus Street in Cheltenham where he soon established himself as an artist. He specialised in portraits of dogs and horses as well as sporting scenes. He also produced a number of military paintings featuring horses.
By 1861, the family had moved to Bath living in the Walcot area, but around 1877 relocated to London, where they lived at 22 Oxford Road, Ealing. Wheeler achieved considerable success earning commissions from wealthy patrons such as the Duke of Portland, the Duke of Westminster, the Earl of Caithness and Baron Rothschild. During the mid 1880’s he moved to Bath Villa, in Hanwell where he lived for the rest of his life. He died at Hanwell in 1903
Wheeler is considered to be one of the most accomplished animal artists of his day. Examples of his work are held by the Victoria Art Gallery, Bath, the National Trust, Somerset Military Museum and the Salford Museum & Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||27.5 inches x 35.5 inches (70cm x 90cm)|
|Framed Size||33 inches x 41 inches (84cm x 104cm)|