Edwin Brown was born in Atherstone, Warwickshire in 1814, the son of a Robert Brown, a carpenter and Elizabeth Ann Brown. Although little is known about his early education, he had established himself as an artist by the time of his marriage to Louisa Goddard on Spa on the 30th of August 1838 at Leamington Spa.
By 1841, the couple had moved to nearby Coventry living at 24 Albion Street and he began earning commissions from wealthy landowners to paint portraits of their prize animals including horses, dogs and cattle. He became known as Edwin Brown of Coventry probably to distinguish himself from another artist with a similar name. However he may have also been inspired by Thomas Baker of Leamington who was a contemporary of his. In addition to being an animal artist he also taught art. His son Edwin also became an artist and it is likely he would have tutored him.
Brown remained at Albion Street until his death in 18891. Examples of his work can be found at the Herbert Art Gallery, Shugborough Park Farm and Rugby Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in its original gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||24.25 inches x 29.25 inches (61.5cm x 74cm)|
|Framed Size||32.25 inches x 37.25 inches (82cm x 94.5cm)|