Henry Thomas Dawson was born in Nottingham in 1842, the son of the artist Henry Dawson (1811-1878). His brother Alfred Dawson (b.1844) was an artist and engraver and his other brother, Charles, was an inventor and the father of Montague Dawson (1890-1973).
By 1851, the family moved to London living in Middle Heath Lane Croydon. They also lived in Thorpe, Chertsey and at The Grove, Camberwell. Henry and his brother would have undoubtedly received tuition from their father who was largely self-taught. However, like his brother Charles, he studied engineering and became an inventor as well as an artist. From around 1863, the family were living at The Cedars, Burlington Lane in Chiswick close to Hogarth’s house. Dawson started exhibiting at the Royal Academy from 1866.
Henry married Elizabeth Dearle in 1874 at Camberwell and together they lived in Burlington Lane, Chiswick close to the family home. Later in life, he helped set up a motor engineer and repair works with his son Henry Alfred Dawson in Canterbury and put forward a number of inventions. He died in Canterbury on 14 February 1918.
Examples of his work can be found in public collections including Leicester Town Hall, Richmond Town Council and the Royal Holloway, University of London, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool and the York Museum.
The work is housed in a new, English made gilt frame, which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||15.75 inches x 23.75 inches (40cm x 60cm)|
|Framed Size||24.25 inches x 32.25 inches (61.5cm x 82cm)|