Delapoer Downing was believed to have been born around 1853 in Ireland. His name seems to be derived from the surname De La Poer, possibly an old family name. He was the son of Major General David Downing who worked for the East India Services. The family moved around from India, to Ireland, Italy and the UK and by 1861 were living in Paddington, London. Downing initially went to Wellington College Sandhurst to become an officer but gave up the army in pursuit of painting. He lived most of his adult life in London and exhibited at the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists and the Royal Institute of Oil Painters. He also exhibited in the provincial art galleries including the Royal Society of Artists, Birmingham, the Manchester City Art Gallery and the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool. In 1881, he was recorded as living in Baker Street, Marylebone and by 1911 he had moved to Edith Road, West Kensington and had married. He later moved to Fulham where he died in 1926, aged 73. Examples of his work can be found at the Ferens Art Gallery and the Wolverhampton Art Gallery.
The painting is housed in its original period gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||30 inches x 20 inches (76cm x 50.8cm)|
|Framed Size||39 inches x 29 inches (99cm x 73.7cm)|