William Barraud was born in 1810 the son of William and Sophie Barraud. His maternal grandfather was Thomas Hull a miniature painter and his paternal grandfather was Paul Philip Barraud, a chronometer maker. His younger brother Henry was also an artist. He studied animal painting under Abraham Cooper (1787-1868) who was a great influence on him and he started specialising in sporting animal portraits of horses and dogs. He exhibited at the Royal Academy from 1828 as well as at the British Institution and Society of British Artists.
He lived with his brother Henry in a number of locations including Champion Hill, Camberwell and then the Exchanged Buildings in the City and they collaborated together on a number of paintings. In June 1841, he married Mary Ratliff in June 1841 and they lived in Elm Grove, Peckham. They had a son Clement William (1843–1926), who became a stained-glass designer.
Barraud earned his living by taking commissions from wealthy landowners who wanted portraits of their favourite animals. He also produced two books, one with his brother entitled ‘Sketches of Figures and Animals’ (1850) and the other with the artist Thomas Fairland entitled ‘The book of animals drawn from nature’ (1846).
He was tragically struck down by typhoid fever and died at Kensington in October 1850. He was buried at St Giles Church, Camberwell. Examples of his work are held by the Yale Center for British Art.
The painting is housed in a new, English made gilt frame which is in excellent condition.
|Image Size||11.5 inches x 15.5 inches (29cm x 39.5cm)|
|Framed Size||17.25 inches x 21.25 inches (44cm x 54cm)|